On its three staggered terraces, reconfigured between 1785 and 1789 by Juan de Villanueva, the architect of the Prado, the Royal Botanical Gardens of Madrid (Real Jardín Botánico) has now roughly 5,000 plant varieties from Europe, the Americas, and the Pacific. As European expeditions went on, the site became a must in the realm of natural sciences. There are also statues and a number of small greenhouses packed into the eight-hectare park.
Property of the Higher Council of Scientific Research since 1939, it was declared an 'art garden' in 1942, before being abandoned. Finally renovated in 1981 by the landscape architect Leandro Silva Delgado (1930-2000), it's worth a visit not only for the spectacular plants and flowers, but also for the architecture and contemporary art exhibitions in the Villanueva pavilion.
Real Jardín Botánico
Plaza de Murillo 2
+34 914 203 017